Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thomas Denton Elder - Missouri/Illinois

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Mid-West Elder Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lvictor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:22 am    Post subject: Thomas Denton Elder - Missouri/Illinois Reply with quote

Am looking for information on Thomas Denton Elder, born in Illinois 1856. I have information from Missouri, Boone County, Records showing Thomas and family, and after many hours at the library, have finally found him as a child living with his mother & brothers in Kinmundy, Marion County,Illinois.

1870 Marion County, Illinois Census Record

Elder, Elizabeth Female Widow age 42 keeping house Born in Tenn
" William Male age 23 Farming IL
" Jas(??) Male age 19 IL
" Samuel Male age 17 IL
" Thomas D Male age 14 IL
" Francis Male age 12 IL
" Joseph Male age 10 IL
" James Male age 8 IL

Father of these Elder boys was Sam E Elder. I am thinking he probably died around 1861...??? Not sure.
lvictor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Thomas Denton Elder Reply with quote

I found Thomas D(enton) Elder (my great grandfather) on the 1860 Census Records for Effingham, Illinois. Listed as follows:

Samuel D. Elder age 41 born 1818 in Ohio
Ester E Elder (on Thomas D.'s death certificate it lists his mothers names as Elizabeth Gray) age 29 born 1830 in Tennessee
John W Elder age 11 born 1848 in Illinois (don't know if this is the person listed as "William)on the 1870 Census Records of Kinmunday, Marion County, IL)
Margaret E Elder age 9 born 1850 in Illinois
(Margaret was not listed as living with this family on 1870 census - possibly was married by that time???)
Thomas D Elder age 4 born 1855 in Illinois (Thomas was actually born in 1856)
Francis M Elder age 3 born 1856 Illinois
Joseph E Elder age 8 months born in 1860 Illinois
William H Gray age 13 born 1846 in Illinois
James H Gray age 9 born 1850 in Illinois
Samuel B Gray age 6 born 1853 in Illinois

I am thinking the Gray boys listed above may have been Ester E's brothers children. Does anyone have any information on this family?
lvictor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Samuel D Elder Reply with quote

After a few more hours of research, I have uncovered more information about my family.

Obitituary from the "Kinmundy Express", Kinmundy, Marion County, Illinois:

Miss Elizabeth Easter Young was born in the state of Tennessee, Jan 1,1831, departed this life Sept 19, 1912, aged 81 years, 7 months, 18 days. She was married to Samuel Gray Feb 9th, 1843,and to this union 4 children were born, 3 of whom preceded her to the Spirit world. One son, Samuel, still surviving. The husband and father departed this life May 20, 1854. In 1866 she was married to S.D. Elder, and to this union 6 children were born, 2 of these having died several years ago. Three sons, Thomas, Marion, and Joseph, and one daughter, Mrs. Rebecca Zeigler, still survive. The mother had made her home with the daughter for several years. The deceased was converted when 13 years of age and united with eh Methodist Church and lived a consistent Christian until death. The funeral service was held in the M.E.Church South Saturday morning at 10 o'clock conducted by her pastor, Rev. A.D. HOcker, and interment was made in the Evergreen Cemetery.

I think there may be an error in the marriage date for Elizabeth & S.D. Elder, as my great grandfather, Thomas was born in 1856. I think they were probably married in 1856 or earlier. No luck in finding the marriage record yet.

My father remembers "Aunt Becky" from Illinois that came to visit his family when he was a small boy. This was the first time my grandfather had met any of his family from Illinois.
I am now searching for information in the 1850 Census records for Illinois for both the Gray & Elder families.
lvictor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:19 am    Post subject: Samuel D Elder Reply with quote

If anyone has any further informatin or clues regarding Samuel D Elder, born abt 1818 in Ohio, I would love to hear from you.

S D Elder married E E Gray 1 Apr 1855 in Effingham County, Illinois. I believe this to be Samuel D Elder and Elizabeth Easter Gray. Record on LDS website. He was married previously, to whom I am not sure. Possibly to Nancy Blackburn (m 1848 in Effingham County) Children (John W b1848 & Margaret E b 1850) listed on the 1860 Census record.

There is also a record for a Civil War pension application made by "Easter E Elder" in August 1864, and an application for minor children "Elder, T, F, J, Jam" in Dec 1870. I ordered the record from NARA.

Trying to make a connection to the record of internment of a Samuel D Elder who is buried in the Little Rock National Cemetery. He was a PVT US Army and died in June 1864. This lines up with other information, but this is a guess on my part.

Would like any information on possible Elder family connections in Ohio.
lvictor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Samuel D Elder Reply with quote

I have received the Civil War Pension file on Samuel D Elder, and boy! does it contain alot of information.

If anyone is doing genealogy and your ancestor has a Civil War Pension file, ORDER IT! It is worth the $37 fee. You can order online through the NARA website. They say it takes anywhere from 42-120 days to receive the file, but I received mine within 3 weeks. It was a nice surprise!

Samuel D Elder was born in Ohio June 1819. He first married Nancy Ann Blackburn, then after she deceased (around 1851) he married Mrs. Elizabeth Ester Gray(Young) 1st April 1855. Samuel D joined Co D Illinois 54th Infantry in March 1864. He contracted Rubeola in April 1864, and then died of chronic diarrhea in June 1864 while in the military hospital in Little Rock Arkansas. He is buried in the Little Rock National Cemetery.

After Samuel D. Elder died, Elizabeth took her boys to Missouri. She states in an affidavit that she went to Missouri with Samuel's brother, John. She lived in the "swamps" near Poplar Bluff, Missouri. They made a living chopping wood. Elizabeth married a James Day on Dec 25 1867. They separated in 1869. She went back to Kinmundy, Illinois & James Day was supposed to follow her to Illinois, but instead disappeared.

Elizabeth spent a few months (abt. 1890) in Rocheport, Misssouri with one son, Thomas Denton, and some time with Samuel D.'s sister, Jane Justus, who lived near Moberly, Mo.

Thomas Denton had a younger brother, Joseph E., who always lived with his mother due to being blind in one eye & nearly so in the right.

Just a few more pieces to the puzzle............
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Samuel ELDER Reply with quote

Glad to hear you received the
Civil War pension papers.

I was happy to obtain the CW
papers for G-grandfather JOSIAH ELDER, enlisted at age 16 in 179th OH, and for his brother JOSEPH,
enlisted in 21st OH, re-enlisted in 4th USCAV.
The 3rd brother enlisted in 34th OH,
and died in WV.
Posted more about them on my webpage:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/civilwar.htm

I'm still trying to find out
more about a SAMUEL ELDER who
was killed in a Railroad accident
in 1862. He is buried at Ft. Meigs,
near Perrysburg, Wood Co OH.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/cem/Samuel1862.htm

Ft. Meigs Cemetery marker:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/FtMeigsPhotoA&S.htm
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
lvictor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 am    Post subject: Connection to Ohio Elders Reply with quote

I am trying to make a connection to Elders in Ohio. (See prior posts for Thomas Denton Elder) Samuel Elder was Thomas Denton's father. The census records show he was born in Ohio about 1819. Family bible records show his date of birth as 23 June 1819. He deceased June 1964 while in the Civil War.

After re-reading the pension file for Elizabeth Elder, Samuel's wife, I found 2 clues. Elizabeth states that she went to Missouri with Samuel's brother, John. John stayed in Missouri for while, then pulled out. Elizabeth said she had not seen him since, nor heard from him. She also states that she lived with Samuel's sister, Jemima Jane Elder Ellison Justice in Missouri for awhile.

I find on the 1850 Effingham County, Illinois records Thomas Elder (b 1794)with his family. There is a Jemima J., but no John and no Samuel. I think they were both married at the time. John to Anna S Baumgarner and Samuel to Nancy Ann Blackburn - found them both on 1850 Census records in Knox County, Illinois (if I remember correctly - I am at work now and my papers are at home)

I am trying to find out more information on Samuel's brother, John. I also have his pension file. There is a bit of information, but not alot.

He was born in Jackson County, Ohio abt. 1821. He served in Co D 54th Illinois Vols (this would be a company from Effingham County, IL) and was discharged due to disability. In his pension papers, witnesses Isaiah Bumgarner and John Chilcote signed.

Trying to come up with a paper trail showing that Samuel was brother to John Elder, and some kind of confirmation that Samuel was Thomas'(b 1794) son.

Are there any Elder's out there from Jackson County, Ohio? I found a listing of the 1820 Jackson County, Ohio census on the usgenweb.com website and it shows a Robert Elder living next to a Thomas Elder.

Does anyone have any information on these families?
lvictor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Samuel D Elder Reply with quote

I have receive the Military Record for Samuel D Elder, my great great grandfather. He was born in Jackson County, Ohio. He was 5'7" tall, light hair, blue eyes, and sandy complexion.

Now the search is on for other family in Ohio.
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Chilcote name seems to be a clue here Reply with quote

Posting clues on a webpage here
to look at tidbits I have found online:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/pa/ThomasDentonElder.htm

See Isaac ELDER and Eliz. Chilcote:
http://www.geocities.com/lonadawn1/chilcote.htm
and
Lonadawn's Homepage:
http://www.geocities.com/lonadawn1
Webmaster, Lona Brown Stevens
5. Elizabeth Chilcote (John2, Joshua1) was born 1820 in Perry Township, Ashland County, Ohio,
and died Abt. 1887. She married Isaac Rains Elder October 04, 1835 in Hocking County, Ohio. He
was born 1797 in Benton Twp., Hocking County, Ohio.

More About Elizabeth Chilcote:
Census: 1850, Effingham County, Illinois

More About Isaac Rains Elder:
Census: 1870, Madison County, Arkansas
Marriage: October 04, 1835, Hocking County, Ohio
results:
lvictor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Clarification of birth dates Reply with quote

Just wanted to clarify that Thomas Denton Elder was born 1856 in Illinois, the son of Samuel D Elder born June 1819 in Jackson County, Ohio.

The page you set up says "Thomas Denton" born 1819. It is a bit confusing.

Thanks for the tidbits of information. I think that my search will have to be "on foot" from here on out, as there is not that much information on the Web prior to 1840.
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Fixing webpage Reply with quote

Thanks! Fixed webpage,
always hoping for more info
to be posted and shared online every day!

Thomas Denton ELDER:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/pa/ThomasDentonElder.htm
results:
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Samuel D. ELDER - Boone Co MO Reply with quote

To add to THOMAS DENTON ELDER notes:
found SAMUEL D. ELDER listed in "FIND-A-GRAVE WEBPAGES"
Maybe it should say "descendants of THOMAS DENTON ELDER."

Memorial Park Cemetery, Columbia, Boone Co, MO
Includes Photo of cemetery gate, but not Samuel's marker
at
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=elder&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=26&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=81&GRid=18085267&

Samuel D. Elder
Birth: Jul., 1898
Boone County
Missouri, USA
Death: Oct. 3, 1975
Columbia
Boone County
Missouri, USA

Samuel was the son of Thomas Denton Elder Sr. & Hettie Mariah E. McKenzie.

Burial:
Memorial Park Cemetery
Columbia
Boone County
Missouri, USA

Record added: Feb 26 2007
By: Beverly Sweeney

and
Find-A-Grave webpage for THOMAS DENTON ELDER, JR.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=elder&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=all&GSst=26&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GSsr=81&GRid=18085306&

Thomas Denton Elder, Jr
Birth: 1904
Boone County
Missouri, USA
Death: 1991
Columbia
Boone County
Missouri, USA

Thomas was the son of Thomas Denton Elder Sr. & Hettie Mariah E. McKenzie.

Burial:
Memorial Park Cemetery
Columbia
Boone County
Missouri, USA

Record added: Feb 26 2007
By: Beverly Sweeney

Find-A-Grave webpage:
at
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17634707

SYLVESTER VAN SNIDER ELDER
Birth: Mar. 26, 1890
Dunklin County
Missouri, USA
Death: Feb. 22, 1956
Malden
Dunklin County
Missouri, USA

SYLVESTER VAN ELDER

Son of WILLIAM ELDER and HENRIETTA SNIDER - ELDER.

Husband of MAUDE ELDER
Died at age of 65 years 20 months 26 days.
REST IN PEACE

Burial:
Memorial Park Cemetery
Malden
Dunklin County
Missouri, USA

Record added: Jan 22 2007
By: A Friend
results:
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Samuel D. ELDER, d. 1864, buried in Little Rock National Cem Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,
Adding the "Find-a-grave" listing for Samuel D. ELDER, d. 1864
to my "Thomas Denton ELDER" notes webpage.

Samuel D Elder
Birth: unknown
Death: Jun. 23, 1864
Burial: Little Rock National Cemetery
Little Rock, Pulaski County, Arkansas, USA
Plot: 2, 1672
Record added: Mar 4 2000
Findagrave listing (no photo)
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Elder&GScid=109422&GRid=3132872&

I was answering a query posted on ELDER Rootsweb.com,
when I thought there might be connections, with a slightly
different middle name!
see:
http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.elder/1367/mb.ashx
by JGriffith
>"Thomas Benton Elder was my great grandfather.
> He was born in Illinois in about 1849, son of Cornelius Dempsey Elder.
Thomas married Eliza (Lida) M. Lanning, born in New York about 1849, daughter of Martin Lanning. Thomas appears to have spent most of his life as a farmer in Delaware Co., Iowa, and he died in the Spokane area of Washington in about 1923.
Thomas had four children that survived into adulthood. Lysle, Clyde, Edna, and Fern. Merle Edna Elder was my grandmother. She died in Los Angeles County in 1951.
All I have on this family are federal and state census records and some family lore. I am interested in finding other descendents of this family group who may also have information to share, especially family lore. .
also found:
WorldConnect
by Becky Teubner
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cuatroake&id=I62510
# ID: I62510
# Name: Thomas Benton Elder
# Sex: M
# Birth: 22 JUN 1849 in Gullison, Knox Co., IL 1
# Death: 28 MAY 1923 in Spokane, Spokane Co., WA / Greenwood Cemetery

Father: Cornelius Dempsey Elder b: 26 MAR 1816 in OH
Mother: Sarah Houston b: 2 JAN 1826 in OH

Marriage 1 Eliza M. Lanning b: 26 JUN 1848 in Schnectady, Schnectady Co., NY
* Married: 16 MAY 1872 in Delaware Co., IA 2
Children
1. Lysle Walter Elder b: 14 NOV 1873 in Milo Twp., Delaware Co., IA
2. Clyde Deforest Elder b: 30 AUG 1877 in Milo Twp., Delaware Co., IA
3. Merle Edna Elder b: 24 JUL 1883 in Milo Twp., Delaware Co., IA
4. Fern Jettie Elder b: 14 JUL 1887 in Milo Twp., Delaware Co., IA
5. Clark Elder b: ABT. 1889

Sources:
1. Title: 1880 Milo Twp., Delaware Co., IA census
Repository:
2. Title: 1878 Delaware Co., IA History - Martin Lanning
results:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Mid-West Elder Lines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: