Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, WA USA
|Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:11 pm Post subject: Matthew ELDER of Washington Co VA
|Notes for Matthew ELDER on Donna Logan's FamilyTrail.com database site:
Name: Matthew ELDER
Birth: abt 1703/1710, Templemore ?, Londonderry, IRE
Death: bef 20 May 1783, Washington Co, VA
1. Birth information assumed from Ireland IGI records, not verified at this time (7/1/90). Correspondence from Ralph Milsap gave his birth as about 1710
- no source given. ( js note: Ireland birth data seems plausible because of family given names perpetuated through generations known to me. Ex. Andrew,
Anne, Ripley, Matthew.)
2. Resided: York Co. Pa. - at least by 1760 (son Robert born), to Washington Co., Va. - as per Rev Pension application made by wid of Robert. --York Co
Pa Special Pub #12 "Docket Books 1749-1754" p 4 - MATTHEW ELDER 1, 5a, 3, 2/6. [js note: look at ref for meaning of numbers.]
3. Will dated 29 April, 1783, proved 20 May 1783, estate inventory 19 Aug, 1783, Washington Co Courthouse, Abingdon,Va - Will Book 1, pg.70.
Estate to children: Andrew, Agness Elder, Martha Bowls, Jane Collier, Mary Snodgrass, Rebecca Elder, Robert & James; execs. Robert Elder & wife [not
named] witnessses: Andrew Kincannon, John Graham, Elizabeth Kincannon. [Transcript in files] See below #5 - will proved 20 May 1783.
4. "RECORDS OF AUGUSTA CO VA 1745-1800" Chalkley, 3:148 - Oct 31, 1771 - MATTHEW ELDER mentioned relative to estate of David
5. "ANNALS OF SOUTHWEST VA" L. P. Summers - Botetort Co, p. 550 - Oct 30 1773 - Matthew Elder bought 482 acres on Forks of James R. from
Abraham Brown & wife Margaret. p. 231 - Aug 1774 - Matthew Elder involved in court case. p. 255 - May 1776 - Matthew Elder charged with stopping
road from North River to John Paxton's. p. 263 - May 1777 -Matthew Elder fined for stopping road. Washington Co. p. 1046 - Aug19, 1779. Ordered
that Andrew, Francis Kincannon, John Beatie, and Andrew Kincannon or any three of them being first sworn Appraise the Estate of Thomas Hadden
Decd. and make return to the next Court. p. 1345 - 29 Apr 1783 - Matthew Elder's will. p. 1144 - May 20 1783. The last will and testament of Mathew
Elder Deceased was exhibited in court and proved by the Oaths of Andrew Kincannon and John Graham Witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
(Ibid) And on the motion of Mary Elder Executrix and Robert Elder, Executor therein named who made Oaths thereto and acknowledged their Bond in the
sum of one thousand pounds with Andrew Kincannon and James Kincannon their securities therefore certificate is granted for obtaining letters of
Administration on the Decedents Estate with the said Will annexed. ***[[Mary, probably Kincannon, wife of Matthew, surmised from Matthew's will.]]
Ibid p. 1345 Washington Co. Va - Will Book 2, p. 65. 3 March 1795. Francis Kincannon. His estate to his wife, Elizabeth, and to his children James,
Andrew, Mary Smith, Francis, George, Matthew. Executors: John Stewart, James Kincannon. Witnesses David Snodgrass, Daniel Perkins, William
Beattie. Probated September 15, 1795. [This information received from Ruth Burns, author of "The Last Free Land". She states that she has a lot of
material on the Snodgrass family that is not indexed as of August 1988.] [js note: see corres. of Virginia K. Nelson re Snodgrass also]
6. [Also from Ruth Burns] Letter from Josephine Jurney, 16024 NE 26th St. Bellevue, Wa. 98008 - 17 July 1989. In some old CFI cards , found Mathew
Elder son of Mathew Elder christened 13 Aug 1662 Londonderry Co, Templemore, Derry Cathedral. Also: Mathew Elder, son of Andrew Elder and
Anna, christened 19 May 1703 same place as above. [Templemore is just west of Londonderry.]
7. Ireland IGI, p. 8444 -- same information as #6 - also p. 8441 - marriage of Andrew Elder to Ann Riply, 3 July 1701 at Derry Cathedral, Templemore,
Ireland. Probable other children are Ann, christened 21 Nov 1699 and Elizabeth, christened 3 July 1701, both at Derry Cathedral, Templemore,
8. Family Group Sheets from Ralsh Milsap of Or. for Matthew & children. Indicated that Matthew was s/o Robert & Eleanor Elder of Paxtang,now
Dauphin Co Pa (was Lancaster Co), however corres with Ann Brooks of Syracuse NY shows he was not --- maybe s/o a brother ???? Ralph says
Matthew was Presbyterian, born abt 1710.
9. 24 Oct 1990 - letter from Nora Bland Elder, 740 S. Davis, Tampa, Fl 33606. Her research has led her from Jefferson Co IN to Matthew Elder of
Washington Co Va. Says that Elders, Kincannons, Snodgrasses were in Major Dysart's preceint in Wash. Co Va. in 1782. Wrote to her - no response.
10. As per Virginia K. Nelson, 3520 Bluff Point Dr., Knoxville, TN 37920 [author of "FAMILIES NAMED ELDER IN EAST TENN." 1986 [R929.2
E364003] (see correspondence), Matthew Elder purchased 482 acres on Forkes of the James River, Botetort Co.Va. from Abraham Brown 1773. See also
Annals of Southwest Va - David Summers, and correspondence with Richard C.Bentley.
11. DRAPER COLLECTION: KY PAPERS: CALENDAR SERIES Vol II:379 = Matthew Elder mentioned >>interview Col Frances Flournoy
Jackson, Clark Co [1850 - 15CC5-12] 12. GEN VA FAM - VOL I, A-H: p 389 = Jemima Elder, wf/o Samuel Howard; dau Anna Maria Howard
(Clements of Surrey Co Va & Baltimore MD - Gen, pp 383-391)
13. "The Scotch-Irish of Colonial Pa." [Augustan 7/31/91] p 56 = York Co Pa was 5th county of Pa from Lancaster Co 1749 - 1800 Adams Co cut from
western part of York. Scothch-Irish from Chester & Lancaster Cos. Pa early as 1726, mainly at Monaghan & in "Barrens".
14. Egle's Notes & Queries AV1897:46 = Margaret Elder d/o a Scotch- Irish laird, m Thomas Sharpe in North Ireland & came to Pa 1746 or earlier. Had
sons: Robert, Alexander, Andrew, John, James, & 5 daus. [????]
15. The Original Scots Colonists of Early AM. 1612-1783 DAVID DOBSON. 1989 = several Elders in 1700s - no Matthew, Daniel, Donald, John, 4
16. Pa Archives 3rd Series Vol 34. Lancaster Co Pa Land Warrants = p 399 John Elder 1738; p 400 Thomas Elder 1743; p 401 John Elder 1751; p 403
Rev John Elder 1785.
17. Gen & Family His of State of Maine George Thomas Little - p 1327 = Tradition of this family [Elder] is that early ancestors were Scotch & went to
Ireland in time of great exodus from former to latter country in 17th century. Name Elder is Anglo-Saxon - ealdor, meaning older or senior & the earliest
progenitor of family as well as name may have come from some point south of the Scotch border. (1) Samuel & Robert Elder, brothers, came from
Ireland, one authority says from Londonderry, another says Artmore, co Antrim, in north of Ireland. They settled in Presumpscot Falls, Maine 1729.
18. 9/89 letter from Marcella Galbraith =that someone from line of Alexander Elder s/o Andew s/o Matthew sent to the library in Washington Co VA that
Matthew's wife was named Kincannon.
19. 1/93 - Prodigy member Mary Lou Alfred CJNW00B - seeking info re her grandfather, William Robert Elder of Grayson KY. [ desc of ??]
1 Mary Kincannon_??
Death: Aug 1792, Washington Co, VA
Nancy Elder Petersen
Vancouver, WA USA
Host, ELDER DNA project