Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Elder (1801), Clarke-Oglethorpe-Butts Co., GA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicky W. Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: David Elder (1801), Clarke-Oglethorpe-Butts Co., GA Reply with quote

I am trying to connect my David (1801-VA) to the David Elder who moved to Clarke Co., Georgia in 1807. I have several documents that point to this connection, but still cannot say why he was not included in the Beulah Hunt Elder papers. In the 1830 Clarke Co. census, there is an entry for a David, Sr. and David, Jr. His daughter's death certificate, Nancy Victoria (born 1850), gives her father as David Elder, born in Clarke Co. Her information was given by a nephew who knew the family was from Clarke Co. His son, James E. Elder, (my husband's great-grandfather) stated on his Civil War Disability papers that he (James) was born in Oglethorpe Co., in 1834. Clarke Co. ceded some land to Oglethorpe Co. in 1811. James' son, Phillip Milton Elder's death certificate also states his father, James, was born in Oglethorpe Co. Another son of James, William Silas Elder's death certificate, states that his father, James Elder, was born in Watkinsville, GA, which is where the older David lived and is buried.
I suspect that my David was disowned from his family due to drunkedness. I do have a document filed in Butts Co., GA in 1856 citing a disagreement between Edward Varner and David Elder due to David's mismanagement of Varner's plantation for drunkedness and neglect. When David died in 1857, all his property and possessions were sold to cover numerous debts.
If the older David had brought a Nephew named David with him from Virginia, I think with all the research that was done by Beulah Hunt Elder, this would have come to light. The lack of any mention what so ever of a son David seems to speak more of a disinheritance situation.
Any leads or information on this David would be greatly appreciated.
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:49 am    Post subject: David ELDER, b. 1801 VA Reply with quote

Hi Vicky,
Have you talked to Kathy Hamilton? I'll send your query to some other
"PETER ELDER" genealogy researchers.

Kathy posts similar info on her database
in
WorldConnect
by Kathy Hamilton
e-mail: kathyhamilton1290@sbcglobal.net
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=gonefishin&id=I238049
ID: I238049
Name: David Elder
Sex: M
Birth: 1801 in Virginia
Death: AFT 1850 in Butts Co., Georgia

Father: David Elder b: 7 JAN 1760 in Brunswick Co., Virginia

Mother: Mollie Ann Phillips b: 1777 in Dinwiddie Co., Virginia

Marriage 1 Lucy Wood b: 1801 in Georgia
• Married: 31 DEC 1826 in Clarke Co., Georgia
Children
1. James Elder b: 1833 in Clarke Co., Georgia
2. Middleton Elder b: 1835 in Clarke Co., Georgia
3. Celestia Elder b: 1838 in Clarke Co., Georgia
4. Nancy Elder b: 1848 in Georgia
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: