Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yippee!!! Maine Elders!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Northeast Elder Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amelia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Yippee!!! Maine Elders! Reply with quote

Hello All! : )

It's so nice to have a place to talk about Maine Elders. We are kind of the minority in this group. I don't think I have any Elders in Pennsylvania, but we probably went through there on the way west. : )

My line is Samuel Elder (who came to Maine with his brother Robert in the early 1700's ?) to Isaac Elder, Isaac Elder Jr., Elvahton W. Elder, Samuel Bracket Elder, Frederick Eugene Elder, Grace Denny Elder (my grandmother)
They went from Portland, Maine to Windham, Me to Gorham, Me to New Portland in Somerset County Maine. They moved to New Portland about 1806. In the early 1850's they headed west. They stopped in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota and some of them ended up in Tacoma, Washington in 1888 (when the railroad was put in from Moorehead, Minn to Tacoma, Wa.)

I have a good amount of information and would love to talk to others researching these Elders.

I should ask a question, so here's one; Does anyone have any information on the Huston that Samuel Elder married, the mother of Isaac Elder?

nice to meet you all,
sincerely,
Amelia James
ajames@artic.edu
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: MAINE ELDER research Reply with quote

Hi Amelia,
Glad to see MAINE ELDER researchers here.
I have seen some speculations that
the MAINE and PA ELDER groups were
related, but no paper evidence yet.
Could we find some current MAINE
ELDER to help in the DNA project?

I found on Donna's FamilyTrail sharing list of 1998, similar MAINE queries:
http://www.familytrail.com/elder/sharing/mail_listaug98.html

Descendants of Samuel Elder
Generation No. 1
1. Samuel2 Elder (?1) was born in Artemore, Antrim Co., Ireland, and
died Bef. 1759 in Windham, Maine. He married ? Huston.

Children of Samuel Elder and ? Huston are:
+ 2 i. William3 Elder, born Abt. 1726 in Ireland.
3 ii. Robert Elder.

Also interested in the MOSS POINT MS
ELDER group listed on that webpage.
Generation No. 4
6. Samuel Tyng5 Elder, Sr. (Joseph4, William3, Samuel2, ?1) was born April 18, 1784 in Portland, ME, and died December 01, 1829 in Moss
Point, Jackson Co., MS. He married Mary Burissa Walker February 10,
1814 in Elbert Co., GA....
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com

Last edited by nancyp on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
kynao

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Samel Elder Reply with quote

Hello I am also related to Samuel Elder form Ireland. The information I have found is that he married Mary Huston and she was born about 1670. I am also related down through the lines to the Elders of Mississippi. I would like to know more about where in Ireland they came from and if I will be able to find any documents. Thanks!
Nancy Elder Petersen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Maine ELDER Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I've talked on the phone recently with Ruth Elder Bellknap
in Moss Point, Mississippi.
She didn't tell me much about her Ireland research, more
about the MS educational interests, lots of teachers in the family!

I wondered if anyone had talked to the INCH ISLAND ELDER folks,
posted here:
http://www.geocities.com/inchelder

Also see ROBERT ELDER in biographical sketch (d.1807 Fannett Township, Franklin Co PA)
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/ed/RobertBio.htm
  "...was born near PERTH on the Tay, Scotland, migrating about 1737 to the vicinity of Lough Inch or Lough Swilly,
County Donegal, Ireland, from that point emigrating to...Pennsylvania...."

From the same source:
"Both these Elder families were of the same stock and were closely related in blood to the brothers Robert and Samuel Elder, who came from Scotland in 1729 and 1730 to the state of Maine, and who were the first ancestors of the large family of Elders in the New England states."

I'm hoping that more of the male ELDER relatives from MS or ME will
participate in the ELDER DNA project, too, in case they might
match any of the Pennsylvania ELDER current relatives.

NancyP
Amelia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: re: Mary Huston Reply with quote

Hello Kynao and Nancy!

I'm curious where you found information on Mary Huston. I have seen some other references to her and have wondered where that came from. Do you remember the source for her first name and date of birth?

very glad to see people posting to this!

Amelia
kynao

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Mary Huston Reply with quote

Quite honestly I saw the information online and in a book I believe called The History of Maine. I am actually in the Family History Library trying to find a marriage record or death record or something to verify the information. At the moment all I have is a possible cemetary where they are burried so I'm off to look it up and see if I can find Mary Huston. I'll let you all know as soon as I find something. It is quite nice to talk to people about all of this information, I'm glad there is so much interest!!

Kyna
Amelia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: re:Mary Huston Reply with quote

Thanks Kyna!

I have soooo much genea information it's hard for me to keep straight where I got what from and how ........ : )
I appreciate the response and the effort to find it, really. I have also seen other people refer to Mary Huston and wondered....... My information just has her as ? Huston.
I'll search through my stuff too and see if I can see who else has quoted this. I would love to track it down.
thanks again! and happy hunting!

it is fun, isn't it? : )

Amelia
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray! Thanks to Ruth ELDER BELLKNAP in
Moss Point, MS, who found an ELDER cousin to participate
in the ELDER DNA project.

Kit #25, ordered July 2, 2004 (25 marker) Due: August
Descendant of:
Samuel Tyng Elder,
b. 1784 Portland, Cumberland, ME
d. 1829 Moss Point, Jackson Co, MS

4-22-2009
New Webpages for DNA Results, showing several
matching "MAINE ELDER" kits in RESULTS and Y-RESULTS menus.
at

See also Nancy's webpage "MAINE" notes
at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/ed/Maine.htm
results:

Last edited by nancyp on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: MAINE to MS DNA results Reply with quote

RE: MAINE TO MS DNA results
-Aug. 20, 2004:

Kit #25 "Maine to Moss Point MS"
12 marker results match
exactly Kit #24
"Anderson Elder of Berea,
Madison Co KY"

Where in the world do they
connect on paper trail!?

New webpages for RESULTS and Y-RESULTS
at

and
results:

Last edited by nancyp on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: MAINE to KANSAS biography Reply with quote

MAINE to KANSAS:
Here's another note in my files, with photos:

IN KANSAS Biographies:
Peter Elder of MAINE (of Isaac):
http://skyways.lib.ks.us/genweb/archives/1912/e3/elder_peter_percival.html

Transcribed from volume III, part 2 of Kansas: a cyclopedia of state history, embracing events, institutions, industries, counties, cities, towns, prominent persons, etc. ... / with a supplementary volume devoted to selected personal history and reminiscence.
Standard Pub. Co. Chicago : 1912. 3v. in 4.
: front., ill., ports.; 28 cm. Vols. I-II edited by Frank W. Blackmar. Transcribed December 2002 by Carolyn Ward. This volume is identified at
the Kansas State Historical Society as microfilm LM195.
It is a two-part volume 3.
Peter Percival Elder, former lieutenant-governor of Kansas, was born in Somerset county, Maine, Sept. 30, 1823,
and at this present time he is nearly
eighty-eight years of age, and residing at Ottawa. Of his ancestral history inquiry has developed the information that the Elder family is of Scotch-Irish lineage. The first representatives of the family in America came from the North of Ireland,
and as early as 1717 settled in Cumberland county, Maine,
with the history of which county the family has since been prominently identified. The paternal grandfather of Mr. Elder was a soldier of the American Revolution, serving as a private under General Stark...
In 1845 Mr. Elder was married in Maine to Miss Catherine, daughter of Daniel Felker, a Maine farmer. Unto the marriage were born two
children—Aldamar P. (see ), and Mrs. Lena E. Fuller, of Ottawa. The accompanying portrait group presents three generations of the Elder family.
Reading from left to right they are Aldamar P. Elder, Pierre P. Elder, Jr., and Peter P. Elder. Peter P. Elder is eighty-seven years of age, and thirty years older than his son, Aldamar P. Elder, who is thirty years older than his son, Pierre P. Elder, Jr. .....

Ancestry.com
1880 United States Federal Census
about Raymond Elder
Name: Raymond Elder
Home in 1880: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Birthplace: Kansas
Relation to head-of-household: Son
Father's name: A. P.
Father's birthplace: Maine
Mother's name: Ella
Mother's birthplace: Tennessee
Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Household Members:
Name Age
A. P. Elder 26
Ella Elder 24
Raymond Elder 2
M. Ready 18
Source Citation: Year: 1880; Census Place: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: T9_381; Family History Film: 1254381; Page: 107.2000; Enumeration District: 87; Image: 0663.
Name: Clara M Elder
Home in 1900: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Birthplace: Tennessee
Relationship to head-of-house: Wife
Spouse's name: A P
Household Members:
Name Age
A P Elder 45
Clara M Elder 40
Ray Elder 21 b. 1879
Pierre Elder 16 b. 1884
Dee Elder 14 (Clara D.) b. 1886
Melvin Price 33 (servant)
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: T623 480; Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 87.

Name: Raymon E Elder
Age in 1910: 32
Estimated birth year: abt 1878
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Aldimer p
Father's Birth Place: Maine
Mother's Birth Place: Tennessee
Spouse's name: Grace D
Home in 1910: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas
Marital Status: Married
Household Members:
Name Age
Aldimer p Elder 56
Raymon E Elder 32
Grace D Elder 30
Pierre P Elder 26
Gertrude M Elder 21
Clara D Elder 24
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: T624_439; Page: 27A; Enumeration District: 93; Image: 1262.
Name: Gertrude M Elder
Age in 1910: 21
Estimated birth year: abt 1889
Birthplace: Illinois
Relation to Head of House: Daughter-in-law
Father's Birth Place: Virginia
Mother's Birth Place: Illinois
Spouse's name: Pierre P
Home in 1910: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas

Name: Gertrude Elder
Home in 1920: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1890
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's name: Pierre
Father's Birth Place: South Carolina
Mother's Birth Place: Illinois
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Pierre Elder 35 (1885)
Gertrude Elder 30
Dorothy Elder 8 dau (1912)
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: T625_532; Page: 16A; Enumeration District: 96; Image: 873.

1930 (line 77, 78, 79, 80)
Home in 1930: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Spouse's name: Piere
Household Members:
Name Age
A.P. Elder 75
Clara 44 dau KS
Mable 14 (dau of Clara Dee) KS (correction, not dau of Clara - see below)
Dorothy 18 (g-dau) KS (dau of Pierre and Gertrude)
Piere Elder 46 (line 25)
Gertrude Elder 44 (line 26)
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: 703; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 17; Image: 309.0.

Name: Martha Mabel Elder
Home in 1920: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1916
Relation to Head of House: (Daughter of Clara Dee)
Father's Birth Place: Maine
Mother's name: Clara Dee
Mother's Birth Place: Kansas
Marital Status: Single
Sex: Female
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Household Members:
Name Age
Andamar Elder 65
Clara Dee Elder 34 (dau)
Martha Mabel Elder 4 0/12 (dau of Clara Dee)
Glen Jameson 21 (step-son of Clara Dee)
Source Citation: Year: 1920;Census Place: Ottawa Ward 3, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: T625_532; Page: 3B; Enumeration District: 96; Image: 848.
results:

Last edited by nancyp on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Maine Elders in Illinois? Kentucky? Reply with quote

Hello, I know Nancy has been trying to make a connection between some of the DNA kits that have been submitted, particularly between Maine and Kentucky. She had e-mailed me about my line. I thought I would post my response here (pardon the length) in case it would help anyone.

I don't have any information about an Elder in Kentucky, but I do have Elders in Illinois. My suspicion for the connection between the Samuel Tyng Elder in Mississippi and the Elder in KY is that it is past where my line branched off, but this is only a suspicion. I'll tell you what I know.

The best way is to list census information. My line is Samuel Bracket Elder (brother to Ferdinand Alvah Elder) Their parents were Elvahton W. Elder and Joanna S. Bracket.

The last census for this family in Maine was 1850 (Elvahton Elder in New Portland, Somerset, Maine) Here are their children and the places they were born will help give a timeline of the family's journey west;

children of Elvahton W. Elder and Joanna S. Brackett;

1.Samuel Bracket Elder born 26 August 1837 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
2.Rienzi L. Elder born 26 January 1841/2 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
3.Ferdinand Alvah Elder born 22 November 1842 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
4.Mary E. Elder born 12 June 1849 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
5.Bertha E. Elder born 22 December 1849 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
6.Evangeline Josephine Elder born 24 May 1852 in New Portland, Somerset, Maine
7.George A. Elder born 12 February 1855 in Four Mile Grove, LaSalle, Illinois
8.Emma Josephine Elder born 1 August 1858 in Earlville, LaSalle, Illinois
9.Edwin W. Elder born 26 July 1863 in Frankford, Mower, Minnesota

So I know that they started heading west between 1850 and 1855, when George was born in LaSalle County Illinois. (All of this matches with names and dates in the Samuel B. Elder bible that I inherited from my grandmother)

The Peter Percival Elder that you mentioned in the Forum post was Elvahton's brother. He moved west to Kansas in 1857 and his wife and two children followed later in 1858. I have a pamphlet that I found at the Newberry, accompanying her obituary, that she wrote describing her journey west in detail. Of course her husband was an agent for the Indians during the Civil War (appointed by Lincoln) and a representative in the Kansas legislature and Lieutenant Governor for Kansas from 1871-1873. (I have a copy of a thesis that was written about him by Albert J. Brox) There is much material on him in various books about Kansas. I also inherited a picture of P.P. Elder, his son A.P Elder and his grandson P.P. Elder Jr.

The Illinois stuff that I can tell you is that George A. Elder was born in Four Mile Grove, LaSalle County, Illinois in Feb. 1855. His sister Emma Josephine Elder was born in nearby Earlville, LaSalle, Illinois in August 1858.

The family then moved to Mower County Minnesota. Samuel B and his bride Harriet Ann Frazier were married there in Nov. 1859. The 1860 census has the whole family in Frankford, Mower, Minnesota. Samuel B and Harriet's son, Frederick Eugene Elder (my great grandfather) was born in Frankford in 1861. Elvahton and Joanna's son Edwin W Elder was born there also in 1863.

Samuel B. served in the later part of the civil war at Fort Snelling Minnesota in 1865.

the 1870 census finds Samuel B. Elder and family in Nora Springs, Floyd Co. Iowa. They are also found in the 1880 census in Sheffield, Franklin Co, Iowa.
Their son Frederick Eugene Elder married Mary Emily Griffin in Hampton,Franklin Co, Iowa in 1882, and they ended up settling and working in Chicago, Illinois.

The 1880 census you cited was Ferdinand Elder and his parents and the rest of his family in Moorehead, Clay, Minn.
Samuel B, Ferdinand, and the rest of the family (minus my great grandfather Frederick Eugene) all moved on to Tacoma Washington in 1888, when the railroad went there.

I have been in touch with family in Tacoma. Ferdinand Alvah Elder married Caroline O. Emerson in Minnesota? in 1875. Their son Roger Emerson Elder was born in Tacoma in 1893. His children and grandchildren are all still in the area. Perhaps you could contact them about the DNA project, but the last e-mail I had from Emerson Elder, Jr., didn't seem to be too interested in genealogy. He was very nice and remembered my grandmother fondly, but I think it may be his son-in-law who was more interested in the family history. His name is Steve Lindsey. He has posted some information about the family and I think it would be okay for me to give you his address and information if you are interested in contacting him.

Of course I have been meaning to set up some kind of website with all of this information, but that doesn't seem to have happened yet! : ) It was very nice to see your posts and interest in my branch of the Elder family. Lots of fun! : )

I think I will post this whole e-mail to the forum, it may be of some use to someone there. And that way if I have screwed any of this up, someone can correct me.
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some TYNG names in Massachusetts:
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~marshall/esmd90.htm
"2. Col. Edward Tyng (___1); b. 1610 at Dunstable, England; m. Mary
Sears, daughter of Francis Sears, circa 1636; d. 27 Dec 1681 at
Dunstable, MA; d. 28 Dec 1681 at Dunstable, MA....

Search MAINE and TYNG:
http://www.mainelist.com/alphabetical/T.php3
Find list of Lodgings:
Including;
The Danforth (Lodging) (Portland, MAINE)
"Since l821, The DANFORTH has stood four square at the Head of TYNG Street overlooking Portland's busy wharves and inner harbor. A celebration of the vitality and industry of this beautiful city by
the sea."

TYNG Family Genforum:
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?maine::tyng::6.html
Posted by: Dana Edgecomb Date: November 21, 2000 at 16:46:42
In Reply to: Re: William & Edward TYNG of Massachusetts by Pamela
Rhett Molzan

I have a transcript of the wills of Edward Tyng, Sr. of Boston and
Mrs. Mary Tyng, relict, of Dunstable, Mass. If you are interested in a copy, email me at nighthawk@watchic.net.
These were apparently misfiled under the case of Bowdoin v. Springer,etals., Case No. 139,354 in Suffolk Files. Note that Suffolk Files are cases regarding what is now the State of Maine, but then was in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Followups:
Re: William & Edward TYNG of Massachusetts
Kimberley Vakula
10/21/01
Re: Edward & Mary TYNG of Massachusetts Wills
Dana E. Edgecomb
10/21/01
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?maine::tyng::8.html
RE: TYNG...
This gave him great interest in the question of jurisdict. and land titles in Maine
Savage, James. A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England Showing Three Generations of Those Who Came Before May, 1692,
- Vol. I-IV (4). Boston, 1860-1862.
results:
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: ANTRIM IRELAND TO MAINE Reply with quote

Posting MAINE to MISSISSIPPI ELDER files:

Nancy's FILES for ULSTER IRELAND:
from
General IRELAND Archives query:
http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/GENIRE/1998-04/0891777302
GENIRE-L Archives
Subject: Elder Family
Date: 5 Apr 1998 04:55:02 -0700
Hello, I am new to this list. I am looking for information on my
ancestors who came from County Antrim, N. Ireland.
The oldest ancestor I have on record is a Samuel Elder born abt 1692.
He immigrated to Maine abt 1729 with his family.
He had a brother named John and several children named
Jane, Margaret, William, Isaac, Elizabeth, Eunice, and Samuel.
I am mostly interested in information regarding Samuel's
siblings, wife, and/or ancestors.
Thanks, David

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 15:13:02 EST
To: elder-news@intrepid.net
Subject: [Elder-News]: Elder Immigration
Does anyone have access to ships/immigration lists for Portland,
Maine around 1730.
My Samuel Elder immigrated from Artemore [or ARDAGHMORE?]
, Antrim County, North Ireland to Portland, Maine around 1729 -
and then settled in the Falmouth, Maine area.
I am trying to find information on ship's name, where it sailed from,
etc...
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
David Howard
..."Samuel Tynge Elder moved from Windham, Maine
to Elbert Co., Georgia where he met and married Mary Burissa
Walker.
He then moved this family into the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
He and Mary are buried in the Elder Cemetary near the Escatawpa
River (near Moss Point) in Mississippi...."

Ancestry.com
Database: Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Name: Samuel Elder
Place: New England
Source Publication Code: 658
Primary Immigrant: Elder, Samuel
Annotation: Alphabetical list of British immigrants to New England,
1700-1775. Includes index. Originally in The Essex Institute
Historical Collections, vols. 63-67 (April 1927-July 1931).
Source Bibliography: BOLTON, ETHEL STANWOOD. Immigrants to New
England, 1700-1775. Salem, Mass.: Essex Institute, 1931. 235p.
Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1966.
Page: 55
Ancestry.com
IMMIGRANTS TO NEW ENGLAND, 1700-1775.
ELDER, Samuel, of Gorham, Maine, from Ardmore, County Antrim,
Ireland; m. Huston; Children; Margaret, William, Isaac, Elizabeth,
Eunice, Samuel, Jane.McLellans Gorham, p. 481.

WorldConnect
by Jim Weyand
e-mail: jweyand@u.washington.edu
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweyand&id=I811
# ID: I811
# Name: Samuel ELDER
# Sex: M
# Birth: 29 AUG 1748 in Windham, ME
# Death: 10 MAY 1819 in Gorham/Windham, Me
# Occupation: Carpenter

Father: Samuel ELDER b: BEF 1710 in Artemore, Co. Of Antrim, N.
Ireland
Mother: Mary HUSTON b: ABT 1700

Marriage 1 Hannah FREEMAN b: ABT 1750 in ME?
* Married: 3 MAR 1774
Children
1. Eunice ELDER b: 29 NOV 1774 in Gorham/windham, Me
2. Ruth ELDER b: 7 JAN 1776 in Gorham/windham, Me
3. Hannah ELDER b: 4 OCT 1777 in Gorham/windham, Me
4. Betsey ELDER b: 4 OCT 1779 in Gorham, ME
5. Samuel ELDER b: 2 SEP 1781 in Gorham/windham, Me

father:
# ID: I819
# Name: Samuel ELDER
# Sex: M
# Birth: BEF 1710 in Artemore, Co. Of Antrim, N. Ireland
Marriage 1 Mary HUSTON b: ABT 1700

Children
1. Margaret ELDER b: BEF 1730 in N.ireland
2. William ELDER b: BEF 1730 in N. Ireland
3. Isaac ELDER b: 19 JAN 1739 in Falmouth, ME
4. Elizabeth ELDER b: 1741 in Falmouth, Me
5. Eunice ELDER b: 1745 in Gorham/windham, Me
6. Samuel ELDER b: 29 AUG 1748 in Windham, ME
7. Jane ELDER b: ABT 1740 in ME
Subject: [Antrim] Where is Artemore, county Antrim?
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 18:16:17 EDT
According to biographical information from the History of Gorham,
Maine,
Samuel Elder and his wife, Mary (Houston) Elder, migrated from
Artemore, county
Antrim, Ireland to Boston (and then to Gorham) around 1720-1729.
We have tried various phonetic variations on Artemore but cannot
locate this
town in County Antrim. Is it possible that the town no longer exists
(or
county lines changed)- and, if so, where would one access their
records?
Thanks for any help,
Janet Delorey
Subject: [Antrim] The IreAtlas Townland Database -- great for
locating elusive Irish towns!
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:37:26 -0500
References: <1a9>
Go to this wonderful site,
http://www.seanruad.com/
and type in only "more" (no quotes) and check the drop down box for
"at the
end of a field" and you will get the following, maybe more, but these
two
for sure:

Ardaghmore Glentop 1,508 Antrim Cary Culfeightrin Ballycastle Ulster
Ardmore 461 Antrim Lower Massereene Killead Antrim Ulster
------------

ARDAGHMORE map shows BALLYCASTLE, Co ANTRIM
Ardaghmore B & B
35 North Street
Ballycastle
Co Antrim
BT54 6BP
Northern Ireland
Tel. No. 028 207 63329
Email info@ardaghmore.com

Mapquest directions from Londonderry to Ballycastle:
Total Est. Time: 1 hour, 14 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 48.72 miles
Map:
http://tinyurl.com/t9sqs
results:
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Kansas corrections information submitted Reply with quote

ELDER family posting error
Saturday, October 30, 2010 5:21 AM
To: NancyP@Teleport.com
Greetings Nancy,

I came across your website after searching for information on Aldamar Phipps ELDER. I noticed an error in the following information and wanted to pass along a correction. From the page:

http://www.familytrail.com/elder/bb/viewtopic.php?t=16

I've highlighted the error in red below:

1930 (line 77, 78, 79, 80)
Home in 1930: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Spouse's name: Piere
Household Members:
Name Age
A.P. Elder 75
Clara 44 dau KS
Mable 14 (dau of Clara Dee) KS dau of Clara Dee [This was in red]
Dorothy 18 (g-dau) KS (dau of Pierre and Gertrude)
Piere Elder 46 (line 25)
Gertrude Elder 44 (line 26)
Source Citation: Year: 1930; Census Place: Ottawa, Franklin, Kansas; Roll: 703; Page: 15A; Enumeration District: 17; Image: 309.0.

Martha Mabel Elder was not the daughter of Clara Dee Elder, but the daughter of Aldamar Phipps Elder and his second wife, Mabel A. GOWDY. Mabel A. Gowdy had been previously married to Charles A. JAMISON; they were the parents of only one child, Brig. Gen. Glen Clifford Jamison. They were together as of the 1900 census, but cannot be found in either the 1905 Kansas census or the 1910 US census. I have yet to find much documentation on the marriage of Aldamar Phipps Elder to Mabel A. Gowdy. She and their daughter were not mentioned in Aldamar's biography published in 1918, which was probably several years old by the time it was printed. However, they were together as of the 1915 Kansas census:

1915 Kansas Census - Ottawa, Franklin County, Kansas
Page: 21 D/F: 525/559 Lines: 19-23
A. P. Elder, 60 M W b. ME from ME, US Emp
Mabel Elder, 38 F W b. IL from IL, H.W. (house wife?)
Clara Dee Elder, 29 F W b. KS Teacher
Glen Jamison, 15 M W b. KS Student
Clara McClanaghn, 21 F W b. Unk, not stated

Mabel A. Gowdy Elder gave birth to daughter Martha Mabel Elder on 23 December 1915, and her headstone notes she died in 1915. Curiously, there was a Damar (shortened from Aldamar?) Maxine Elder buried with Mabel who was listed as born 22 December 1915 and died 30 August 1916. I think it is possible that Mabel gave birth to twins a day apart, then died sometime shortly thereafter. The WWI draft card for Glen Jamison, shown in the 1915 census, lists A. P. Elder as his nearest relative. Glen's obituary from 1973 listed that he was survived by his sister, Mrs. Mabel Shader of Ottawa, Kansas. Mabel Shader's obituary listed that she was preceded by her step-brother, Glenn C. Jamison, but that was an error; he was her half-brother, not step-brother.

Here is Martha Mabel Elder Shader's obituary:

Ottawa Herald, The - Ottawa, Kansas
Monday 27 April 1998 - Page 2

MABEL SHADER
Martha Mabel (Elder) Shader, 82, Ottawa, died Friday,
April 24, 1998, at Ransom Memorial Hospital. Funeral
services will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Grace Episcopal
Church, Ottawa, with the Rev. Ruth B. McAleer officiating.
Burial will be held at Hope Cemetery, Ottawa.
She was born Dec. 23, 1915, to Aldamar Phipps and Mabel
(Jamison) Elder at Ottawa. She grew up in Ottawa and attend-
ed Ottawa schools. Her grandfather, P.P. Elder, was one of
Ottawa's first residents and also lieutenant governor of
Kansas. She graduated from Ottawa High School and was a
lifelong Ottawa resident.
She was a homemaker. She was a member of the Grace
Episcopal Church, Ottawa.
On Dec. 27, 1933, she married George Chester Shader. He
died on Oct. 17, 1982.
She was preceded in death by a son, Roger L. Shader; a
daughter, Carol Shader; two brothers, Pierre and Raymond
Elder; a sister, Clara Dee Elder; and a step-brother, Brig.
Gen. Glen C. Jamison.
Survivors include a son, Jamie E. Shader, Plano, Texas;
three daughters, Sally S. Gildner, Albert Lea, Minn.; Betty
S. Stark, James Collierville, Tenn.; and Barbara S. Netherland,
Ottawa; and nine grandchildren.
The family will receive friends following services at the
church.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Grace Episcopal
Church Memorial Fund or the Franklin County Historical Fund
and may be sent in care of the Lamb-Roberts-Heise Funeral
Home, Ottawa.

(Note - daughter Ida Carol Shader killed in an auto accident 6 December 1969, 10 days before her 18th birthday. Son Roger Lee Shader 1955-1985.)

My connection to all of this is through Mabel A. GOWDY, my great-grandmother's first cousin. Mabel was probably born in Monmouth, Warren county, Illinois during February 1876, the daughter of John Clark Gowdy and Rachel M. Henderson.

Best regards,

Richard S. Clark clarkra@frontiernet.net
Monmouth, IL
results:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Northeast Elder Lines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: