Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WISCONSIN Elder family - DNA matches "FRANKLIN CO PA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Elder DNA Study - keep up to date here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: WISCONSIN Elder family - DNA matches "FRANKLIN CO PA Reply with quote

Notes from the WISCONSIN documents
Where descendants match "FRANKLIN CO PA" DNA group

Documents copied July 22, 2010 from files of Don Elder, Lebanon, Oregon.
Many thanks to Don and to Jay Elder for his help.
WISCONSIN Ancestors were found in the same Ballymoney area of
County Antrim, Northern Ireland as the "PAXTANG PA" DNA group.
Don had papers for both groups in Ballymoney, and
my BALLYMONEY webpage already had noted some info found for both groups:
at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nancyelder/ed/BallymoneyData.htm

Notes From "A Chronological Report of the Elder Family," [of Wisconsin]
by James [Gray] Elder, [Sr], January 1991. (Former President of
Clan Mackintosh of North America, based in Ontario, Canada)
(Born 1916 - Died 1 Aug 1991 - father of our DNA participant)
James wrote:
..."Brendan Elder who lives in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada...sent a short heritage write-up of his family...[and] he sent my letter to his father, Samuel Elder, who lives in Don Mills, Ontario, Canada.
Brendan received a long distance phone call from his father in which Sam explained that my father was a brother to Sam's father Robert Elder. Sam also had a brother Joseph Dickey Elder who lives in Utterson, Ontario, Canada....."
James continues:
"I will be eternally grateful to my Clan [Mackintosh] officer staff, especially my vice-president Col. John R.C. Roop of Fairfax, Virginia, for convincing me to accept a second term in office [because James was able to discover Brandon's request for membership in Clan Mackintosh of
North America, and his own relationships to him].
James wrote:
"Preamble to [Wisconsin] Elder family genealogy"
"..A copy of my fathers birth certificate states the following facts.
"My father, James Gray Elder, was born on the
21st of July in the year 1868.
His birth was recorded in the District of Derraw, in the
Superintendent Registrar's District of Ballymoney, in the County of Antrim, North Ireland....
"His father's name was Joseph Dickey Elder, my grandfather.
"His mother's name was Margaret Ann (Gray) Elder, my grandmother. ...
"It was my belief that both my grandfather and grandmother were born in Scotland in the area of Edinburgh. ...
"From information obtained from Sam and Joe, we can now list my father as having a brother John, who migrated to Australia, and a brother Robert who remained in Kilrea and married Elenor Conner and raised a family of 4 girls and three boys.
The boys: Andrew, Joseph, and Samuel all migrated to Canada.
"My uncle Robert was born on June 21, 1876...
"It was reported by Joe that when he left home to come over to Canada, his mother gave him the names of two of his father's sisters who had migrated to the U.S. and were living in the State of Washington. The names she gave him were Bella Elder who married Frank Rudduck and Elizabeth Elder who married Joseph Roseborough.
The address she gave Joe was R.R. #1, Sultan Washington....
"[A reply was received] from [Skykomish], Washington [NE of Seattle]
written by a Mrs. Clarice McCausland who stated that she was the only daughter of Isabella Elder Ruddicks." Clarice stated that she was 80 years old had two children and 6 grandchildren."
"...Sam's sister Mollie was the Principal of a Girls College in The Channel Islands before she met and married Wesley Henry, a doctor in London, who came from an Irish family of doctors in North Ireland. His sister Nellie married a Sydney Bradley who was in charge of a section of the Excise and Weights in the UK.
Nellie had been in the Civil Service in England when she met him. They had one son named Raymond Bradley.
"My father's sister Matilda married a Scot who lived in Falkirk, Scotland. His first name is not known but his surname was Bellingham and they had one daughter Nellie, and three sons: James, William, and Joseph.
----
Notes From Samuel ELDER [Relative of WISCONSIN ELDER] who hoped to connect to the "Steamship builder, John ELDER of Glasgow" - but that JOHN ELDER had no children - so Samuel researched possible connection to JOHN's ancestors in Kinross-shire:
From SAMUEL ELDER [Wisconsin family] research:
"Genealogy of the Elder Family of Drumore in the Bann Valley..."
" Re: Memoire of John Elder, Shipbuilder & Marine Engineer of Glasgow" by Professor M. Rankine of University of Edinburgh (1870), that John Elder's forbears were from Kinross-shire in the Scotch Highlands for several generations."
"James Elder's father left home at the age of 14, and travelled by Sailing Ship to America. When he talked with his son in later years he always maintained that his great grandfather was specially involved in the Clyde Shipbuilding Industry..."
"An article published in the Glasgow Citizen was reprinted in the Annals of Kinross-shire re the passing of John Elder and it noted that "Mr. Elder's connection with the County consists in his being the grandson of Mr. Elder, Seggie (farm) in the Parish of Orwell (Kinross-shire)..."
"An extract from the book "Ghosts of Glasgow: by William W Barr, lists John Elder's tomb in the famous Necropolis Cemetery at Glasgow Cathedral Graveyard, viz "to the memory of John Elder (1824-1869) of the World renowned Govan Shipbuilders established in 1864, then known as Fairfields."
"From a letter received from Rev Richard N. Gordon...minister of 2nd Kilrea Presbyterian Church: "Your grandfather's entry occurs on the first page of the baptisms performed by Joseph Dickey...."
Enclosed with the letter was the certificate for the baptism of Joseph Dickey Elder dated January 11th 1841, and gave the residence of his father and mother as Culmore. The father's name was Daniel Elder and the maiden name of the mother was Mary Reed."
Sam also writes:
"...My father Robert Elder of Kilrea was a Merchant on Bridge Street where he had two stores and a house between, the one a Grocery, the other Household ware, China etc., also he supplied the farmers with seed and grain from a number of stock buildings behind the stores. As well as this he managed a number of other tasks; he was very much in demand as a fishing guide at the River Bann, and had clientele from various parts of Europe and even some Americans who came for the excellent Salmon. My mother managed the stores. He also catered certain events like dances and provided the music as well, being quite good on the violin and he and some friends had a fair band by any standard. He was also available to local estates for special garden services and was always in demand when I was a youth in Kilrea. As a young man he was an excellent horseman and rode in "Point to Pont" races, and at one time I saw a picture of him on a special jumper which hung on
the wall of the Hotel in Kilrea, and another in the public bar of the Inn at the Five Roadends...
"My mother's people were the Connors of Moneysharvin which lies between Upperlands and Maghera in Co. Derry....Her brothers were all store owners in Desertmartin, Tobermore, Upperlands and Moneysharvin..."
"Re: "Cemetery in Rasharkin Presbyterian Churchyard:
Marker is there for Joseph Dickey Elder
(but no record was found in the Church itself)
Re: Letter from Mrs. June Elder Bator from Sunnyside, Washington
(referenced in 1989).

See also "JOHN ELDER OF GLASGOW" notes on my webpages
at
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nancyelder/Steamships.htm
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Elder DNA Study - keep up to date here All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: