Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

elder fife scotland

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Outside the United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bella55

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: elder fife scotland Reply with quote

hi my name is margaret i have just started tracing my family and would like to know if any one has info on Andrew elder b approx 1802 m janet young 1840 in scoonie or weymss fife i believe they had 8 children my ggreatgrand mother mary was one of them born 1857 in abbotshall fife
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Andrew Elder Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,
I don't see that specific Andrew Elder in my files, but I am researching
in all regions of Scotland, hoping to connect my ELDER names in Pennsylvania with their origins in Scotland.

I have some maps and ELDER names of FIFE
posted on my webpage here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~nancyelder/ed/Fife.htm

I subscribe to the Scotland Old Parish Registers database in Ancestry.com.
Today I found some earlier ANDREW ELDER names in Fife.
They could be related further back...
I have LDS microfiche printouts from other regions that are later dates,
but not from Fife. I'll keep looking...

Ancestry.com
Search Results - Fife, Scotland: Parish and Probate Records
Searched for Andrew Elder

Fife: Dunfermline - Parish Register, 1561-1701
 Marriages.
  Parish Registers of Dunfermline 1561-1700.
   February.
County: Fife
22 Feb 1629 Andrew Elder and Janet Phin had Jean; witnesses, William Anderson in Lymkills, David Murra, Andrew Young, Robert Bruse.

Kincardineshire, Fife, Kinross, Perth, & Forfar: - Commissariot of St. Andrew's, Register of Testaments, 1549-1800
 Marriages.
  The Commissariot Record of St. Andrews.
   Register of Testaments, 1549-1800.
Smith or Smyth, Elspet, sometime spouse to Andrew Elder, brabonar at Brigend of Achrie, par. of Strikmartin 14 Jan 1600
[Brabonar=Weaver]

Fife: Dunfermline - Parish Register, 1561-1700
 Marriages.
   November.
11 Nov 1632 , Andrew Elder and Janet Phune had Isobel; witnesses, Edward Douglas, Thomas Douglas, William Pillonis.

Kincardineshire, Fife, Kinross, Perth, & Forfar: - Commissariot of St. Andrew's, Register of Testaments, 1549-1800
 Marriages.
  The Commissariot Record of St. Andrews.
   Register of Testaments, 1549-1800.
Elder, Andrew, in Blebo-milns, par. of Kembak 24 Dec 1593
[Parish of Kemback - 3 mi from Cupar]
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/FIF/parishes/Kemback/index.htm

Marriages.
   March.
25 Mar 1627 Andrew Elder and Janet Phinne had Isobel; witnesses, Mr. James Phinne, portioner of Lymkills, Andrew Trumble in Bromehall, George AEdisone.
[Portioner=Proprietor or joint proprietor of lands]

Marriages.
   June.
M. 13 Jun 1626 Andrew Elder to Janet Phune.

[Occupations: Scotlands People:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?r=551&981

WEMYSS parish - Genuki webpage:
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/FIF/parishes/Wemyss/index.htm
"Wemyss, on the south shore of the county, derives its name from the Celtic ‘Wamh’ meaning caves, a number of which may be found in the rocks on the seashore. The parish is bounded by Markinch, Scoonie, Kennoway and Dysart...
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: George Elder of Australia Reply with quote

Using Search box for ELDER at:
FIFE FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY
http://www.fifefhs.org
"In the FFHS Journal Vol 5 No 1 of September 1992, we listed a number of famous emigrants from Fife who made a significant contribution to the development of the country in which they settled. This article will deal with three of these emigrants, and their families, who founded leading stores/merchant houses in Australia."
ELDERS.
"GEORGE ELDER (1785-1868), the son of William Elder, merchant, South Leith, had come to Kirkcaldy by 1812, when he had married JOANNA HADDON LANG (1795-1857), dau of Alexander Lang, candlemaker, South Leith, and opened business as a hardware merchant and shipowner in the High Street. He was the father of four sons who established a great merchant house in Adelaide, eventually known as ELDER SMITH & CO.

In 1839, it was decided at a family conference to extend the business to the newly established colony of South Australia, and, accordingly, his son, ALEXANDER LANG ELDER (1815-1885), set sail from Kirkcaldy on July 16 1839 as sole passenger on the family schooner, the 89-ton "Minerva," with a cargo of rum, whiskey, brandy, tar, fish, biscuits, tinware, gunpowder, agricultural machinery, and seed. South Australia was reached on Jan 2 1840, and by July 1840 he was trading in Adelaide under the title of A L ELDER, general and commission agent at Flaxman and Rowland's store in Rundle Street. By September he had found his own premises in Hindley Street, where he continued until 1849, when he removed to larger premises in Grenfell Street.

As the Adelaide business expanded, reinforcements in the form of other brothers, and a brother-in-law, were sent from Scotland. CAPTAIN WILLIAM ELDER (1804-1882), a merchant captain, who had first visited Adelaide on June 27 1840, when he brought out 183 Scottish and Irish immigrants from Greenock and Dublin in the "William Nichol," again visited his brother in Feb 1844 as commander of the barque, "Symmetry," 408 tons, and this time decided to stay. CAPTAIN JAMES MALCOLM (d 1865), the brother-in law of Captain William Elder, arrived in 1846 from Bahia, Brazil, on board the "Malcolm," and was appointed the firm's agent at Port Adelaide, and was later manager at Wallaroo. GEORGE ELDER, JNR (1816-1897) arrived in 1849, followed in 1854 by the greatest of all the brothers, SIR THOMAS ELDER (1818-1897).

As quickly as the brothers followed one another to Australia, so did they leave. Alexander Lang Elder was the first to go, resigning at the end of Jan 1853, and with his wife and three children, settled in London in 1855. There he acted as London agent of the Adelaide company until 1884, when he took his two eldest sons into partnership in the firm of A L ELDER & CO. Captain WIlliam Elder left Australia soon after Alexander, and returned to Scotland, where he became proprietor of 'St Margaret's," North Queensferry.

This left George Elder, jnr and Thomas Elder as sole partners in the business, which became ELDER & CO. However, this designation did not last for long, for George Elder returned to Scotland in 1855, and settled in Ayrshire.

The firm then became ELDER, STIRLING & CO. in a partnership consisting of THOMAS ELDER, EDWARD STIRLING (1804-1873), JOHN TAYLOR (d 1865), and ROBERT BARR SMITH (1824-1915), Elder's brother-in-law (Smith had m JOANNA ELDER at Tivoli, nr Melbourne, on April 15 1856). Edward Stirling retired in 1861, followed by John Taylor 2 yrs later, and on Jan 31 1863, the firm assumed its historic title of ELDER SMITH & CO, with Thomas Elder and Rbt Barr Smith as sole partners.

The prosperity of this new firm was lain during the partnership of Elder Stirling & Co, when they financed Sir William Watson Hughes' (from Pittenweem) newly-discovered copper mines at Wallaroo and Moonta, which, after initial losses, brought huge returns. With this sound foundation, under their direction, and also under that of their successor, PETER WAITE (1834-1922) - from Pitcairn, nr Kirkcaldy, who had come out to Melbourne in the "British Trident" on June 8 1859 - who became Chairman in 1883, the firm of ELDER SMITH & CO diversified into pastoral concerns, and became one of the world's largest wool selling firms, and also had interests in Adelaide Steamtug and Adelaide Steamship Companies. It was incorporated into a limited liability company in 1882, and celebrated its centenary in 1939. [A J Campbell, Editor]

Also Publications of Kirkcaldy Civic Society:
http://www.kirkcaldycivicsociety.co.uk/books.htm
FAMOUS FOLK (BOOK TWO) £3.00
Adam Smith, Alexander Stewart, Thomas Carlyle, John McDouall Stuart, Anna Buchan and the Elder Family
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Outside the United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: