Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new Elder line Lunenburg Co. Va

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: new Elder line Lunenburg Co. Va Reply with quote

I have enjoyed your "Elder" site @familytrails.com. Some of your
>information has prompted some questions regarding my own research.
>Please compare your list of children for Harrison J. Elder of
>Lunenburg County Virginia with the actual census image for 1850.
>
>I am also interested in your source for the parentage of Margaret
>Jane Elder. I had concluded that MJ was the daughter of William and
>Elizabeth C. Elder who came to Lunenburg County Va in 1838 from
>Ireland. A 17 year old MJE is with the family that arrived in NY
>Oct. 25, 1838 via Ship Auburn from Liverpool. Is it possible that
>little
>Lunenburg Co. VA had 2 Margaret Jane Elders? The other basis for my
>conclusion is the marriage record for MJE and Joel Burnett and the
>1850 Lunenburg co. census that
>shows a 6 year old Margaret Jane Burnett living with William and
>Elizabeth C. Elder.
>
>I'd be interested in your thoughts.
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Descendants of Harrison J Elder...and Not Reply with quote

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to add that 1840 Lunenburg Census showed Harrison J Elder with three daughters. 1850 backs this up with Jane W, Mary A and Martha C. I feel certain Helen was correct.
Helen was referring to an old Peter Elder tree posted elsewhere on the site, and I have found other incorrect information in it. In fact, it is one of several references I have found to Harrison's son Edward M Elder being killed during the Civil War, which is definitely incorrect.
Edward M Elder in fact survived the war (although on his Confederate Disability Pension Application, he gave the reason for disability as "paralysis sustained on the field at the Howlett House during the war" and indeed paralysis was given as his cause of death on his widow's later Pension application). About 1855 he had married the "girl next door," Henrietta Hicks, who was 12 to his 21 at the time of the 1850 census and whose family was enumerated just before his in 1850. They went on to have seven children. After the war they moved to Dinwiddie County, Virginia. Many of their descendants were buried there at Butterwood Methodist Church.
CiCi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the one hand I don't like to change the information originally posted (the Peter Elder tree on this site) by James C Elder, but on the other hand I really don't want to leave wrong info out there to get passed further along. I think I will go in and fix the two things mentioned above, but not add anything (such as the descendants of Edward M Elder).
Any opinions before I make those changes?
CiCi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
JimElder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: James C Elder Reply with quote

I know this was posted many years ago now, but I'm just reading it and am wondering what the "C" in James C Elder stands for? My name is James Colston Elder, Jr. Just curious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: