Return to Elder Main Page Elder Family Research
You must REGISTER before you will be able to post on our Bulletin Board
This protects our Members from unauthorized use of this Bulletin Board.
Please read the FAQ for this Bulletin Board before using (see button below).

Return to Elder Main Page  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Henry H Elder in VA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Henry H Elder in VA Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on Henry H. Elder? His wife's name was Louisa. According to the 1880 US Census for Amelia County, VA, he was 35 years old, but according to the 1870 Census for Chesterfield County, VA, he was 28 then. I'm sure it's the same guy, as all of the children's names and ages match up. Anyway, he was born between 1840 and 1846. I can't find any records before 1870. Some of the children of Henry and Louisa were Jessie, Robert, William and John. Hope someone can help. Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Henry H. Elder of VA Reply with quote

Hi Cici,
I don't have those names
in my files, but will look
for some of the Virginia links.

I checked Lee ELDER's book about the PETER ELDER group of VA,
and he has several Henry names
but not Henry H. in the index.

Will keep looking...
NancyP
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Henry H. Elder in Dinwiddie Co VA in 1860 Reply with quote

Hi Cici,
Using Ancestry.com, search HENRY ELDER and VIRGINIA
Found this one, but didn't find Thomas B. in Lee ELDER's list, either.
His PETER ELDER folks were in early Dinwiddie Co VA.

Ancestry.com (using search HENRY ELDER and Virginia) b. about 1838
1860 Census DINWIDDIE County, VA
Name:   Henry H Elder
Age in 1860:   21
Home in 1860:   District 1, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Value of real estate:   View image
Post Office:   San Marino
Roll:   M653_1342
Page:   23
Year:   1860
Head of Household:   Thos B Elder
  Household
Thos B Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 43 1816 Virginia Male
Mary L Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 31 1828   Female
Thos J Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 11 1848   Male
Veny ann  Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 10 1849   Female
Mary E Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 5 1854   Female
William D Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 2 1857   Male
Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 10.12   Female
Henry H Elder District 1, Dinwiddie, VA 21 1838   Male

Will keep looking...
NancyP
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: ALL ELDER in VA - search CLAIBORNE ELDER Reply with quote

1840 census - all ELDER in VIRGINIA
Alfred Elder Southern District, Campbell, Virginia
Austin C Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Brookin Elder Not Stated, Lunenburg, Virginia
Claiborne Elder Dinwiddie, Virginia
Claiborne Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Claiborne Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Harison J Elder Not Stated, Lunenburg, Virginia
John Elder North District, Halifax, Virginia
John Elder Not Stated, Harrison, Virginia
John Elder Richmond Ward 2, Henrico, Virginia
John Elder Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Virginia
John Elder Not Stated, Tyler, Virginia
John R Elder Not Stated, Harrison, Virginia
John S Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Joseph Elder Not Stated, Harrison, Virginia
Oliver Elder Southern District, Campbell, Virginia
Saml Elder Not Stated, Harrison, Virginia
Tabithy Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Thomas Elder Southern District, Bedford, Virginia
Thomas Elder Not Stated, Brooke, Virginia
Thomas R Elder Not Stated, Tyler, Virginia
Travis Elder Not Stated, Lunenburg, Virginia
William Elder Not Stated, Harrison, Virginia
William Elder Not Stated, Lunenburg, Virginia
Wm Elder Not Stated, Dinwiddie, Virginia
Wm Elder Not Stated, Marshall, Virginia
Search CLAIBORNE ELDER in DINWIDDIE - f
finally find EDMUND in PETER ELDER group
Worldconnect
http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=arkgen-1&id=I1438
by Andrei Kohl and others
e-mail: arkgen2005@yahoo.com
* ID: I1438
* Name: Claiborne Elder
* Surname: Elder
* Sex: M
* Birth: 15 Jun 1759 in Dinwiddie County, VA
* Death: 24 Dec 1840 in Dinwiddie County, Virginia

Father: Edmund Elder b: 21 Aug 1727 in North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, VA
Mother: Sally Unknown b: Unknown
ID: I970
* Name: Edmund Elder
* Given Name: Edmund
* Surname: Elder
* Sex: M
* Birth: 21 Aug 1727 in North Farnham Parish, Richmond County, VA
* Death: 10 Oct 1789 in Dinwiddie County, VA
* Change Date: 11 Dec 2004 at 01:02
* Note:

Edmund Elder born 21 Aug 1727 inherited land from his father in
Dinwiddie, and had a survey there joining his own land on 18 April 1753. The estate of Edmund Elder was taxed in Dinwiddie Co., in 1787.

Father: William Edmund Elder b: BET. 1685 - 1687 in Virginia
Mother: Ann Wheeler b: Abt 1692 in Richmond County Virginia

Marriage 1 Sally Unknown b: Unknown

* Married: Unknown
* Change Date: 11 Dec 2004
Children

1. Claiborne Elder b: 15 Jun 1759 in Dinwiddie County, VA
2. Thomas Elder b: BET. 1773 - 1776 in Dinwiddie County, VA
3. Robert Elder b: Abt 1775 in Dinwiddie County, VA
4. Daniel E. Elder b: Abt 1777 in Dinwiddie County, VA
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Nancy, Thanks so much for helping me out. I have the census info but can't quite connect all of the dots. I have managed to find the Thos. B. Elder from the 1860 census in someone's family tree. His full name was Thomas Branch Elder, his wife was Mary Louisa Rainey. I think that the Henry H. Elder listed was his brother or maybe nephew. Not likely a son by a first marriage based on looking up TBE in earlier census records.
I also believe this is my Henry H, although the ages don't match up from 1860 to 1870 to 1880, that's not really unusual.
Also, please tell me what you think of this link:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~tngibson/Histories/scrape.htm

Thomas B. Elder is not the brother of Sarah Elder (Scrape), but may be a nephew?
The brother Thomas who returned to Dinwiddie is porbably this one, who's will is shown here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~kelder/KenElder/elderhis.html

What interests me about the Scrape connection is that they were back and forth from Tenn to Va, and her brother Henry Lucas Elder married a Houston. I saw a reference a couple of weeks ago to a Henry Houston Elder, but I don't remember where. VERY likely their son, JUST POSSIBLY my Henry H. Elder!
Like I said, I'm still trying to connect the dots!!!
I am going to try searching this site for all of the people mentioned in those 2 links.
Thanks again for helping!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found Henry Houston Elder -- not my Henry H, since he died before his twelfth birthday. He was the nephew of Sarah Elder Scrape, the son of her brother John Wesley Elder, who also married a Houston. There is another Henry H Elder the right age, born in Indiana, which I am following up.
nancyp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Getting closer! Reply with quote

Hi Cici,
Glad to hear progress! Let us
know how it goes! Interesting
to find more names in the "PETER
ELDER" group, when there are
so many names in Lee ELDER's book
already!

The 2 matching representatives for PETER ELDER's DNA genealogy,
are #4 and 6 on the ELDER DNA chart:
http://www.familytrail.com/elder/DNAresults.html
results:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/Elder
NancyElderPeterSEN@yahoo.com
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Will of Claiborne Elder Reply with quote

I found the will of Claiborne Elder in Dinwiddie Co, VA. He was not the father of Henry, although still possibly the grandfather.
His will lists five children: Burwell, Ann Murrell, William, Peter and Daniel.
He left his land to Burwell's son, Joseph Elder, with life rights to Burwell's wife Mary. The remainder of the estate was divided in fifths to:
daughter, Ann Murrell
children of son Burwell Elder,
children of son William Elder,
children of son Peter Elder, and
son Daniel Elder.
Claiborne lived past eighty, and apparently 3 of his sons pre-deceased him.
He also specifically bequeathed furniture to "my granddaughter Elizabeth A Elder, daughter of my son Burwell Elder."

Added to what I know about the Elders in Dinwiddie so far, I can fill in quite a bit about Edmund Elder's children. All the charts on this site had for Claiborne so far was one son and two grandchildren for him, so this is "new".
I am going to get it all into a GEDCOM and find the proper place to post it.
elder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Elders in Dinwiddie Reply with quote

This is just a follow up to Cici note about posting her gedcom. It was posted to the FamilyTrail.com web site and can be found at this address:

http://www.familytrail.com/elder/Edmund_Elder/
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is literally everything I know about my Henry H Elder. I still can't find him in any VA census in 1850. I actually read the entire Dinwiddie Co census, and still had no luck.

1860 Census, Dinwiddie Co, VA, age given as 21, living with the family of Thomas Branch Elder, age 42, and his wife Mary Louisa Rainey, age 31 -- Thomas and Louisa were married before 1850, and Henry was NOT with them in 1850, so I SERIOUSLY doubt he was Thomas' son by a previous marriage
1861 Enlisted in Confederate army in Dinwiddie, spent a lot of 1862 in and out of hospital
1863 Again Enlisted in army, but this time in Orange Co, VA, eventually captured and released under oath in 1865
1870 Census, Chesterfield Co, VA, age given as 28, living with wife and oldest children
1880 Census, Amelia Co, VA, age given as 35, living with wife and children
1900 Census, Chesterfield Co, VA, age given as 63, living with wife and youngest son
1902 Pension Application, age given as 63, gives birthplace as Dinwiddie, confirms that both enlistment records were his

I thought perhaps Henry was a brother or half-brother of Thomas Branch Elder, but I have found the parents of TBE (William Elder married Peggy Mitchell in Sussex Co, 1814, lived in Dinwiddie). As far as I can determine, he only had one brother, George Elder. Their widowed mother was living with George in 1850, with no sign of Henry.

Any ideas?
cicielder
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: FOUND Marriage Record of Henry H Elder and Louisa A Moore Reply with quote

I am soooo excited. I finally solved my mystery today! I decided out of the blue to check out the records in Petersburg, a small city which was actually part of Dinwiddie County until about 1850. I started going through the marriage index and eventually realized that they have records which aren't on microfilm at the Library of Virginia! Then I found it - HH Elder married LA Moore 1862, book 1, page 13. I asked for the book and learned it was in a special archive room and only the clerk of court could get it out.
Would you believe I had to hang around for over an hour before the clerk finally showed up after noon? But it was all worth it - EVERYTHING was there on that page. Even the clerk won't touch the actual license - they told me most of them are too delicate - so different from Dinwiddie where they let anyone search and handle the actual documents. But no matter, here is what was on that page:
December 25, 1862 Henry H Elder married Louisa A Moore. He was 23, she was 22. Both were residents of Petersburg, where he was a government employee. He was born in Dinwiddie and she was born in Lunenburg County. Her parents were Sam and Ann Moore and his were... (Drumroll Please)... Burwell and Mary Elder!!!
In his 1841 will, Claiborne Elder mentioned both his son Burwell and Burwell's wife Mary by name.
I had already figured that Thomas Branch Elder's father was William. Have since determined by process of elimination that this was Claiborne's son William, so Thomas B and Henry were first cousins.

Very Happy CiCi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Elder Family Research Forum Index -> Southern Elder Lines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: